The overall environmental challenge of the cement industry worldwide is to control and minimise its direct CO2 emissions from cement production. Other heavy industries seek different ways to efficiently manage and even utilise their waste. However, fly ash, a residue of coal fired power plants is considered a waste product as its high content of carbon particles cannot be used as a suitable mineral in the construction industry, nor can its carbon content be a useful and cost-effective additive or replacement of cement.
The main challenge is how to put this waste product to productive use.
The proprietary technology of Separation Technologies LLC (ST), a Titan Group company, consistently transforms, through separation, a waste product into coal, which is recycled into a fuel as well as a quality material for application in the cement and concrete industry.
The use of the beneficiated mineral product offers a cost-effective cement additive or replacement, depending on the case, that directly reduces CO2 emissions from clinker producing kilns by substituting the cement otherwise produced from clinker. It is a solution that requires no additional chemicals, produces no emissions and offers a fuel replacement for coal-based industries.
ST operates commercial-scale fly ash beneficiation facilities, processing poor quality fly ash into high quality pozzolanic material. ST's triboelectric process reduces the carbon content of fly ash, producing a consistent low loss on ignition (LOI) ash for use as a substitute for cement in concrete and related products.
• Seasonality of both the electricity and construction sectors (more electricity is consumed in the winter) results in much more fly ash being produced when the cement and concrete consumption is low. Sufficient storage is required for optimal year-round operation.
• Quality of the feed fly ash may impact the efficiency of production
Each of the nearly five million tons of ProAsh® produced:
• Saves enough energy to provide electricity to a home for 24 days
• Equals 455 days of solid waste by the average citizen
• Reduces CO2 that equals two months of emissions from an automobile