The Municipality of Szekesfehervar recognizes the importance of creating strong stakeholder relationships within the community due to the influx of companies establishing themselves within city locations because of its infrastructural facilities. This has resulted with the increased number of vehicles on the road, commuters from the countryside increasing by 30,000 and increasing air pollution. There has also been a large quantity of illegal garbage appearing on the streets. The government and the companies have not created a strong cooperative relationship.
The challenge has been addressed through the program developed by the president of the Healthy Soul and Healthy Body Association (PR and marketing communications counselor of the Mayor of Szekesfehervar). The initiative focuses on three key areas: environment, sustainability, health promotion, prevention, public safety.
Szekesfehervar municipality has initiated a broad social unity based on the principles and instruments of corporate social responsibility (CSR) in order to strengthen the localism and the individual responsibility in the town.
- The biggest challenge was the establishment of a dialogue between different sectors. The partners are unable to cooperate because they do not understand each other talking.
- It is important to have a communication framework that is clear, concise and clear of all social actors.
- Currently there are 20 companies, 22 NGO’s, 30 educational institutions, 3 proffessional organizations and 11 local government representatives that have joined the program.
- Szekesfehervar Responsibility Day involved landscaping, maintenance, garbage collection, electronic waste collection (twice a year – 800-1000 people involved); high school interactive discussion series supported by the European Commission and the European Youth Parliament; region-wide Family Day.
- 50 organizations cooperated creating awareness around the environment, public health security with 10,000 visitors.
- CSR Hungary 2008 Special Award