The goal was to develop and strengthen the environmentally conscious behavioural culture of university units. Responsible thinking (for the environment and workplace culture) of particular units of the University, incorporating 12 faculties, 300 sites, more than 410,000 m2 is underdeveloped compared to SZTE TIK, which during the past couple of years has won two "Green Office" and several architectural awards besides bearing the honorific title "Bicycle Friendly Workplace" for years. Although selective waste collection has been developed all over the university, organization's systems are outdated, paper-based communication is widespread, equipment is obsolete in most places, energy saving measures are largely ignored, electronic devices are kept in standby mode most of the time. Therefore, the various units of the University of Szeged have different green cultural deficits and succession and adaptation of environmentally friendly behaviour is comparatively slow.
SZTE TIK employees voluntarily joined together in order to renew the building of University of Szeged Business and Operation Management (GMF) and turn it "green" within two days of hard work. The building was constructed in the 1960s, it is metal-based with malfunctioning windows and doors, having an obsolete heat-energetic system, housing about 70 university employees on an area of appr. 1500 m2. The largest development process of the past decades was the renovation of the electronic network in 2009 and 2010. The "commando" can also be viewed as a team-building training since it included those volunteering colleagues of the Business and Operation Management who were ready to take actions towards development.
1. Identifying problematic areas, working out the solutions for them, drawing up a schedule.
2. Taking away unnecessary pieces of furniture.
3. Archives selection and reorganization in more efficient way.
• We had only three weeks at our disposal between the brainstorming of the idea and its implementation.
• We had to take into consideration January weather and also the fact that we had only two days to realize the plan (from Friday afternoon to Saturday late afternoon).
• We paid attention to those colleagues from Business and Operation Management who would not take part in this activity so that they would not consider it intrusive or arrogant but view it as a kind of help and something that strengthens collegial cooperation.
Impacts of the solution:
• first round of public places of the building (mostly the places where furniture and plants were taken away)
• sanitary painting
• restrooms and kitchens reorganisation (e.g. placing labels and purchasing environmentally friendly detergents)
• putting up curtains in the meeting rooms
• furnishing public places and meeting offices
• placing further notes in the offices about environmentally conscious behaviour
• placing instructions boards and new nameplates on the walls of the corridors
• selective waste collection system reorganisation (re-grouping waste-collection sites, placing information boards and transfer pictures)
• encouraging the usage of selective waste collection by abolishing general waste-collecting dustbins
• with the colleagues of the University Botanical Garden's help, some new and larger plants from SZTE TIK besides the remaining ones were transferred there
• placing photos representing university subject pictures and university faculties in the corridors and in the two new meeting offices, thereby strengthening the intellectuality of the University of Szeged