As activities are becoming increasingly international, PSA Peugeot Citroën wanted to complement it with a global framework agreement on the company's social responsibility.
How can a large company like PSA Peugeot Citroën implement a global framework for corporate social responsibility?
The global framework agreement on the company's social responsibility was executed on March 1, 2006, by PSA Peugeot Citroën's management and the FIOM (Fédération Internationale des Organisations des Travailleurs - International Federation of Workers' Organizations) and the FEM (Fédération Européenne des Métallurgistes - European Metalworkers' Federation) involving some 85 trade unions and the trade unions in the countries in which the Group employs more than 500 workers. It is applicable to all the subsidiaries of the Group's car, financing, transport and logistics departments.
The participation of the group's general management as well as of the local managements, the FIOM, the FEM and the trade unions was key to the success of the application of the global framework.
Therefore, the group implemented all the means to ensure that the result in terms of performance is in line with its expectations:
- The implementation and follow-up of the agreement were carried out through a common document, "the application guide"
- It was spread by means of an animated application kit by the different group managements
- A strict procedure was carried out by the subsidiaries responsible for the self-diagnosis of the commitments
- An important social dynamic was generated
- Social audits are carried out within some subsidiaries
- A first balance was submitted in June 2007 before the European committee of the group
- A highly structured procedure was implemented so as to expand PSA Peugeot Citroën's social requirements to the suppliers
- Global agreement applicable to 105 subsidiaries, in 30 countries and on four continents
- Agreement must unite all parties involved (workers, managing boards, trade unions, suppliers, sub-contractors, industrial partners and shareholders, etc.) beyond their diverging interests
- The result of the first balance shows a good compliance with the commitments
- The application of the agreement contributed to the development of the social dialogue dynamics
- Social requirements were expanded so as to comprise suppliers too