Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company - “I Care for my Health” program
Consumer Staples (e.g. Food & beverages)
Community impact/engagement , Stakeholder engagement , Education, Health & wellbeing, Base of the Pyramid (Poverty alleviation initiatives)
Year of implementation
Coca-Cola HBC Greece, consistent to its commitment for the investment of resources, experience and time in improving the quality of life of both local communities and country, develops its actions in line with matters of health.
Therefore, Coca-Cola HBC Greece, having acknowledged the increased ignorance about preventive medicine in Greece and the First Degree Health Care in poor areas, developed the program “I Care for my Health” with the collaboration of the Greek Red Cross, in order to be a part of the solution.
"I care for my Health" program consists a part of its effort to inform rural residents on matters of health, especially people living in remote and deprived areas of the mainland and island of Greece, where access to information and health services is difficult. This approach was the product of conscious research and composition of data concerning the ignorance of the importance of health prevention in Greece.
- During economic recessions, epidemiological studies have shown an increase in sickness & death among the most vulnerable groups.
- The poor have higher than average child and maternal mortality, higher levels of disease, and more limited access to health care and social protection” (WHO: Poverty & Health 2009).
- Attica, Western & Central Greece and Peloponnese have the higher poverty rates
- It is a highly accepted program from the community since it meets a fundamental need: HEALTH.
- Contributes to the development of Greece, by ensuring the good health of people
- Greeks vote poverty as the field where the companies must implement CSR programs (2011 Tradelink Reputation survey).
Description of solution
The objectives of this community program are to:
- Develop and adopt healthy behavioral models which protect and promote their Physiological and psychological health.
- Help the residents of deprived and poor areas around Greece as the first thing they omit due to the financial recession is to protect their health
- Identify Illnesses at primary stage
- Educate them about First Aid & Accident prevention, in order to confront emergency cases before they are carried to a Hospital
The integrated community program is implemented in poor areas in Greece (Prefectures of Ioannina, Arta, Larisa, Trikala, Karditsa, Aitoloakarnania, Achaia, Argolida, Arkadia, Messinia, Lakonia, Attica)
The program is primarily based on preventive medicine, health education, first aid seminars and accident prevention. More specifically, the program aims to contribute to shaping and adopting healthy behaviour models and help diagnose illnesses in the early stages, as well as provide first aid training for people in distress until medical help arrives. The programme includes:
- Examinations to students of remote, poor and deprived areas and participation at First aid and Accident Prevention seminars. Moreover, parents and teachers participate at the Health Orientation Seminars.
- 2 Medical Units implementing examinations to residents and provision of a medical card with the health findings.
- Our sales force activate local points of sales and distribute an informational leaflet.
- Donation of fully equipped first-aid pharmacies to the schools where the program is implemented.
- Integrated communication plan nationally due the program’s continuity and to the regions and people reached and affected. Internal communication with employees, undergoing preventive medicine examinations at the program’s Health Mobile Unit and participating at First Aids seminars.
Internal Stakeholders: Coca-Cola HBC Greece
External Stakeholders: NGO: Greek Red Cross, local authorities, CSR Media
When implementing the program, we encouraged the collaboration with local authorities and we promoted the close collaboration with the NGO in order to improve our day to day results.
Finally, it was essential for us to enrich the educational leaflet and the health examinations in the mobile unit and continue our invaluable collaboration with the Greek Red Cross.
- Enhanced the company’s image at National & Local level (we distributed 70.000 leaflets, which communicate the program and the company and provide to residents useful health information).
- Reached potential customers - we activated 220 point of sales.
- Built strong relationships with key Stakeholder groups (local authorities, CSR media).
- Collaboration with one of the most respected NGO – Red Cross.
- Engaged our employees in the program by providing health examinations in the mobile unit and arranging health seminars – 63 participated.
- 1.200 students participated at First aid and Accident Prevention seminars.
- 1.336 students underwent preventive medicine examinations.
- Approximately 376 parents and teachers participated at the Health Orientation Seminars.
- 1526 people underwent preventive medicine examinations at the program’s Health Mobile Units (2 mobile units).
- Our sales force activated more than 220 local points of sales.
- More than 70.000 people were informed about the program through leaflet distribution.
- Donated 33 fully equipped first-aid pharmacies to the schools where the program was implemented.
- 44 employees underwent preventive medicine examinations at the program’s Health Mobile Unit.
- 19 employees participated at First Aid seminars.
- Health Card given to all participating citizens with the results of their health examinations in order to use it as an initiative for further health examinations in cases of need.
Solution Submitted By
Please login to view this information