Sectoral CSR Reporting
The commitment of Spain's Savings Banks to transparency and communication with their stakeholder groups has given rise to the establishment of this CSR Laboratory, involving all twenty-three institutions of the Confederation of Spanish Savings banks. Through means of face-to-face meetings with stakeholders and disbursement of a sectoral CSR report questionnaire, the Laboratory has produced standardised information for the sector across a number of CSR indicators.
In order to increase the quality of CSR reporting, Spanish Savings Banks, under the auspices of the Confederacion Española de Cajas de Ahorros (CECA), have come together to form a joint project of Financial Sector Reporting. The Lab seeks to address the lack of accessible data on companies' social and environmental impact, especially as it relates to key stakeholders.
The Spanish Savings Bank sector has long been a leader in social activitism, and is now aiming to standarise this success through the establishment of a reporting mechanism that is in line with the Global Reporting Initiative's 2006 Sustainably Report Publication Guide (G3). To this end, the standardisation of reported data is key. Through the collection of extensive reports, discussions, and questions this Lab has produced a Report template that facilitates comparison across the entire financial sector.
To contribute to the transparency and communication of banks, to better the understanding of stakeholders and the general public
Standardisation of information flows across the sector allowing comparisons to be made among the various Savings Banks and over time
Production of Sectoral Questionnaires and the development of the Savings Banks Sectorial CSR Report:
- This was completed through the formation of a working group involving all twenty-three institutions and the CECA
- The report was adapted to address, directly, the G3 reporting initiative
- Indicators focused on social assessment, environmental assessment, socio-economic assessment, and financial performance.
- Information was gathered through 7 separate questionnaires on a variety of social topics
Caixa Galicia, Caja Círculo, Unicaja, Caixa Manlleu, Caja Granada, Caja Madrid, Caja CCM, CAM, Caixanova, Caja Extremadura, Caixa Catalunya, Caixa Tarragona, Caja España, Caja Sol, IberCaja, Caja de Burgos, Caja Astur, Caixa Sabadell, Caja Vital, Caja Segovia, Kutxa, Caja Murcia.
Ms. Inés García-Pintos
- 26 October 2006: A Round-table discussion with participants and the CEO of Global Reporting Initiative
- 25 January 2007: 1st Lab session - Established schedule (i.e. date of questionnaire dispatch); Examination of other questionnaires
- 14 February 2007: 2nd - Dispatch of four more questionnaires; Defining and standardising of variables to develop questionnaires
- 4 March 2008: High Level Meeting - CEO discussion on progress of Labs and deliverables
- 19 June 2008: CSR Europe General Assembly - presentation of Labs and collection of deliverables' content
- November 2008: European Alliance Assembly - presentation of success in CSR Laboratories